You want to say Hi to the cute girl on the subway. How will she react? Fortunately, I can tell you with some certainty, because she’s already sending messages to you. Looking out the window, reading a book, working on a computer, arms folded across chest, body away from you = do not disturb. So, y’know, don’t disturb her. Really. Even to say that you like her hair, shoes, or book. A compliment is not always a reason for women to smile and say thank you. You are a threat, remember? You are Schrödinger’s Rapist. Don’t assume that whatever you have to say will win her over with charm or flattery. Believe what she’s signaling, and back off.
If you speak, and she responds in a monosyllabic way without looking at you, she’s saying, “I don’t want to be rude, but please leave me alone.” You don’t know why. It could be “Please leave me alone because I am trying to memorize Beowulf.” It could be “Please leave me alone because you are a scary, scary man with breath like a water buffalo.” It could be “Please leave me alone because I am planning my assassination of a major geopolitical figure and I will have to kill you if you are able to recognize me and blow my cover.”
On the other hand, if she is turned towards you, making eye contact, and she responds in a friendly and talkative manner when you speak to her, you are getting a green light. You can continue the conversation until you start getting signals to back off.
The fourth point: If you fail to respect what women say, you label yourself a problem.
There’s a man with whom I went out on a single date—afternoon coffee, for one hour by the clock—on July 25th. In the two days after the date, he sent me about fifteen e-mails, scolding me for non-responsiveness. I e-mailed him back, saying, “Look, this is a disproportionate response to a single date. You are making me uncomfortable. Do not contact me again.” It is now October 7th. Does he still e-mail?
Yeah. He does. About every two weeks.
This man scores higher on the threat level scale than Man with the Cockroach Tattoos. (Who, after all, is guilty of nothing more than terrifying bad taste.) You see, Mr. E-mail has made it clear that he ignores what I say when he wants something from me. Now, I don’t know if he is an actual rapist, and I sincerely hope he’s not. But he is certainly Schrödinger’s Rapist, and this particular Schrödinger’s Rapist has a probability ratio greater than one in sixty. Because a man who ignores a woman’s NO in a non-sexual setting is more likely to ignore NO in a sexual setting, as well.
So if you speak to a woman who is otherwise occupied, you’re sending a subtle message. It is that your desire to interact trumps her right to be left alone. If you pursue a conversation when she’s tried to cut it off, you send a message. It is that your desire to speak trumps her right to be left alone. And each of those messages indicates that you believe your desires are a legitimate reason to override her rights.
For women, who are watching you very closely to determine how much of a threat you are, this is an important piece of data.
an excerpt from Phaedra Starling’s “Schrödinger’s Rapist: or a guy’s guide to approaching strange women without being maced” (via lostgrrrls)
HOLY FUCK THE TRUTH.
Can every one of my male followers read this? And please, before you get defensive (“I would never rape anyone!”) keep in mind, women being afraid of Shrodinger’s Rapists (oh my god I still can’t get over the encompassing brilliance of this phrase) is a conditioned, learned response from being immersed in rape culture and the evolution of sexism and sexual violence in our society from the day we’re born. And unfortunately, it’s very difficult to unlearn without the efforts of all genders to dismantle it. Which is where you come in.
Schrodinger’s Rapist. Brilliant. It’s true: you could be a genuinely nice guy who is curious about my tattoo and wanted to ask me about it. Or you could be a serial murderer who has two bodies stashed in the trunk. You could be the kind of person who smiles and says hello to every person he passes. Or you could be a rapist who’s looking for any woman walking home alone at night, and you’re going to follow me until I reach a dark enough alley. Flip of the coin, really.
me: I’ve had a guy interested in my who STOLE the conversation, he was really intense and there wasn’t really room for me
I also really dislike people just assuming they can kiss me (on the cheek or the top of the head). I mean there’s people who can (hint: if I’ve kissed you, you’re allowed to similarly kiss me, you may not want to, and it may be awkward, but you’re ALLOWED).
the fun thing was that he was actually a pretty good friend, very generous and once he knew what I didn’t want, he respected it… just if I would have gotten into a more serious relationship with him, I would have felt abused, and I don’t know that it would have been all his fault.
so I didn’t, because he SO wasn’t even close to the right guy for me :)
- emilykatherinethefirst reblogged this from scarfcas
- plagiarismofpassion reblogged this from jay-e-ehn
- ilandere likes this
- seoulinthesun likes this
- mary-and-her-merry-men reblogged this from queenbookworm13
- queenbookworm13 reblogged this from tryingtodraw-infinity
- youareheavensent likes this
- ratherbeontheice likes this
- onthefloortiles reblogged this from churroro
- churroro reblogged this from nicholael
- gallifreygirl1024 likes this
- kiepuffins likes this
- writeinconstellations likes this
- everydreamthatyouwish reblogged this from ruquzu
- scribling-in-textbooks likes this
- reckle5szaxo likes this
- kocoubum likes this
- hellootintin likes this
- kelissa likes this
- neuroticwish likes this
- foxrains likes this
- kittens-everywhere reblogged this from cutepiku
- mayumoco likes this
- sapphire-raindrop reblogged this from checaria
- sapphire-raindrop likes this
- checaria reblogged this from cutepiku
- checaria likes this
- cutepiku reblogged this from eleckurai
- johnzilla87 likes this
- the-wooper-says-woop reblogged this from jaredpadaleckicumstomatosauce
- ladymazelin reblogged this from thosesharpies
- default-name-no-more-are-left reblogged this from toukofuchristmas
- default-name-no-more-are-left likes this
- thosesharpies reblogged this from eleckurai
- eleckurai reblogged this from stephasauruswrecks
- yourfaithfulanchor likes this
- stephasauruswrecks reblogged this from granitestatedudecore
- granitestatedudecore reblogged this from fusrodaahd
- rudolphandstag likes this
- fandom-is-my-division reblogged this from jaredpadaleckicumstomatosauce
- dick-brook reblogged this from jaredpadaleckicumstomatosauce
- roses-are-red-bowties-are-cool likes this
- kthrine likes this
- fancypantsynancy likes this
- breatheinthedreams likes this
- fusrodaahd reblogged this from ruquzu
- fusrodaahd likes this
- toukofuchristmas reblogged this from lord-hachi-of-heck
- toukofuchristmas likes this